I took a half day today because I was seconds from just walking out on my job. Sometimes you just have to take a mental health day and deal with the paycheck consequences. I hate how I need to fake some flu/migraine/cold in order to leave for the day. I just want to say I’m having massive, crushing anxiety at the thought of being stuck at this job for another 7 hours. We were severely understaffed too so I’m sure everyone is super pleased with me. I’ve now added guilt to the anxiety soup I’m cooking up here.
It’s easy to take the day off and curl up under the blankets dramatically thinking how your job is sucking out your soul. Really that’s ALL I want to do. But in order to return to work tomorrow in a better state than I am in today, I need to be productive. What do you all do to make the most out of a mental health day? This is a list I’ve compiled of things that have worked for me, and what I’ll be spending the rest of the day doing:
1. Expose your brain to some positivity and inspiration by checking out motivational videos on Youtube. I’ll suggest any interview with Lilly Singh, Jay Shetty, or Brene Brown. They will pump you up…promise.
2. Blog, journal, or just free write. It’s good to empty that brain especially when super stressed out or anxious. Hello! Welcome to the reason I’m blogging today. Sometimes it feels good to just type or scratch that pen across the paper even if you don’t have anything to say. I used to type out song lyrics because the clicking of the keyboard calmed me down.
3. Read a good book. This is when Harry Potter comes in handy. Or any fantasy book really. I love immersing myself in a pretend world when everything else is too overwhelming. Escapism yes, but a little bit of that is healthy right?
4. While you are curling up with that book why not add a good cup of coffee and the companionship of a furry friend. Seriously, this is my dream day. Coffee+Book+Cat=Stress free Amy. I’ll suggest a cat café if you don’t have a pet of your own.
5. Work on your resume and job hunt. This sounds so unappealing doesn’t it? I’m mentioning this anyway because it really helps me focus on the future. It gives me a reason to be positive about my current shitty job, knowing there will one day be an out.
So that’s what I’m doing. I wish I could take one more day, but since I’m not dying of the flu I suppose I’ll have to go back tomorrow.